Friday, June 30, 2006

RIP Wilhelm: August 2003 - June 2006



Kaiser Wilhelm, the hamster who started it all--the first resident of the New York Hamster House, passed away yesterday. He was nearly three years old.



When I found out that he was dead, two supporters of the NYHH were over getting a tour of the place. They were lovely and distracted me, but let me talk about how sad I was too. They took me out to dinner, but then when I came home it really hit me. I put up a little memorial page about him on the NYHH website last night, but it isn't finished. Wilhelm is the hamster I found on the street. He's kind of the head of it all--the sweetest hamster, the best story about why the New York Hamster House is important. Everything. He was my oldest, and most dear hamster and I really did love him. He was friendly, and never ever bit anyone, and was curious and really smart and was a truly great pet. I hope that when people adopt hamsters from the NYHH, they get to bond with their hamster they way I did with Wilhelm. He was with me for two very difficult years of my life, and was there nibbling on his cage and running in his wheel the whole time, and always willing to crawl around on my lap or eat a carrot while I had dinner.

There is so much to say, but I will just say this: I'm really lucky that Wilhelm lived as long as he did, and I was happy to have him with me each and every day. Wilhelm lived a long and happy life.

3 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry about Wilhelm; those of us with little creatures of our own know the sadness you feel. But I'm very glad that you came to meet up with Wilhelm. Had it not been for him, you might not have experienced the joy of living with hamsters. Even worse, perhaps the hamsters you have protected and found homes for might not have happened. Thank goodness for Wilhelm (and you!)

Ellen

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about Wilhelm too...I am so glad the two of you met up because you have helped so many hamsters because of Wilhelm. I know that he was probably proud in his own hamster way about helping you start the NYHH.
I was going to bring him some blueberries when I came to play with the hamsters and pick up Beatrix.

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi i need some help- my son and his friends found 3 baby hampters , well at least that is what they look like- they look the picture you have of your three day old ones- i need to know what to do about them- my email is maemay722@hotmail.com- if you would like i can send you a picture- maybe you can tell me what they eat and such- thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you- Mae

 

Post a Comment

<< Home