Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Je ne BREED pas.

(Schnarffles and Jessica)

I would have thought that it would be obvious that I (both personally, and on behalf of the NYHH) am against breeding hamsters and other animals. Certainly, it would be obvious that someone who runs a shelter would not participate in such activities, right?

Apparently not. Cause I just got the following email:

So i have three hamsters, 2 syrian, and 1 dwarf, all males. Is there a chance i can temporarily borrow a female hamster to breed with one of my hamsters?

Here was my response:

The reason I had to open the hamster house is because of people who adopt pets they later don't want to care for, and because of people who breed their hamsters and then can't take care of all the babies that result. Hamsters often have eight to ten babies in a litter, all of whom need to be correctly sexed and then raised (in separate cages, if they are syrians). Hamsters can also get pregnant very quickly after birth, which means if you aren't careful, you can rapidly go from having two hamsters to having thirty.

In short, the New York Hamster House is completely against the breeding of animals when there are so many animals in need at shelters (like the NYHH) and pet stores.

So, I'm sorry, but I can't help you out. I urge you not to breed any more hamsters--if you love them, then go to a shelter or store and adopt ones that are already living and who need good forever homes. Don't add to the problem, fix it.

Thanks,
Jessica
Founder, New York Hamster House


I was trying to be polite, and also not too angry, because one never knows whom an email is from or to whom they might forward my response. When speaking on behalf of the NYHH, I should be diplomatic, polite, and understanding, while holding firm to my principles.

But... COME ON!!!! The whole reason that shelters exist is 1) to take in animals who need homes and 2) to find homes for animals who need them. No where in that mandate does it say "make the problem worse by enabling people to create more animals who are most likely unwanted." And even if this person does really want more than ten hamsters, then he or she should come and adopt them from a shelter (like me!)!

In short, the New York Hamster House is NOT a stud farm, nor do we do "loaners."

Our goal is to find safe, forever homes for hamsters. Period.

3 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eek, yeah... you don't want to turn into the Hamster Pimp House.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think this was a bad joke, I think it is a bad joke - or the person just really doesn't realize how that request would sound to someone who runs a hamster rescue, I am not sure how they would not realize this ....or could not realize this, maybe I am just trying to rationalize too much!

I think your response was really good! You did a good job of educating this person who needed a hamster breeding wake up call.
All the Best-Beatrix and Katie the hamsters Mom

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger megastein said...

Kudos to you Jessica for sticking to your guns and preventing any further hammies from being bred. With so many hamsters and other animals needing love and good homes it is terribley important that people stop breeding animals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home